The normal cycle of hair growth lasts for 2 to 3 years. Each hair grows approximately 1 cm per month during this phase. About 90% of the hair on your scalp is growing at any one time. About 10% of the hair on your scalp, at any one time, is in a resting phase. After 3 to 4 months, the resting hair falls out and new hair starts to grow in its place. It is normal to shed some hair each day as part of this cycle. However, some people may experience excessive hair loss. Hair loss of this type can affect men, women and children.
If you do notice that you are losing more hair than normal, please seek professional medical help immediately. Once your symptoms are determined and you are on your medication course, these are a few tips to ensure you can still make your head look great.
Make these your habit:
- Do not wash your hair with very hot water.
- Do not wash your hair more than 2 times in a week. Use only a mild shampoo.
- Do not comb the hair backwards. Use a good quality brush/comb. Avoid excessive brushing.
- Massage the scalp vigorously for 10 to 15 minutes (until you start to feel hot there) after bathing it with water. This stimulates the blood circulation and strengthens the hair follicles in the scalp and prevents hair loss.
- Coconut oil and castor are very good for hair. Boil dry pieces of amla (Indian goose berry) in coconut oil and apply on hair.
Incorporate these supplements in your diet:-
- Saw Palmetto is the most commonly recognized and discussed herb concerning the prostate health and hair loss in men.
- Beta-Sitosterol is another herb that has received a lot of attention these days in the hair loss community. Some studies suggest that Beta-Sitosterol is many times more potent than Saw Palmetto.
- Shou-Wu is an herb that has been used by the Chinese for hundreds of years in treating hair loss and reversing gray hair.
- Emu Oil one of nature’s best inflammatory agents, is rich in lineolic acid and can have positive effects on various kinds of skin, hair and scalp disorders.
- Tea Tree Oil is a natural agent that is effective against all three categories of infectious organisms: bacteria, viruses and fungi.
If nothing works, consider these other options:-
- Hair transplant: A surgical technique that involves moving individual hair follicles from one part of the body (the donor site) to bald or balding parts (the recipient site). It is primarily used to treat male pattern baldness. This is where grafts containing hair follicles that are genetically resistant to balding are transplanted to bald scalp.
- Hair Replacement System is very easy to wear and is available in various styles, colours and sizes as per the needs of the clients. A good hair systems/wig is always well-fitted and is made to fit one’s head perfectly while maintaining a light and airy quality. It also has to be comfortable and look as natural as possible. There are detachable hairpieces knitted by hand. These pieces can be attached onto the head by clips (for areas with hair), tapes (at bald spots) or re-attachment by weaving technique. There are also some that can be custom-made to fit an individual.
Other ways you can improve your appearance is by dressing better and exercising. This helps restore your confidence and helps distract attention from your hair. Ultimately, it is your confidence that matters most.